[Wolves] Ubuntu: Reconfiguring hardware

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 10:53:22 GMT 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 10:38:04 +0000, Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So yet another area where Linux winds hands down over Microsoft's offerings.
>
> As an aside.  I had to re-install Win2k last week on my other PC.  I
> set it all up with my ISP connection etc. and decided to get all the
> updates.  After quite literally hours of fetching this and the other
> and endless reboots I suddenly realised I had not sorted my firewall
> or AV software.  Now bear in mind I had not connected to anywhere but
> the official Microsoft site to update this rubbish.  As soon as I got
> the AV set up it detected no less than 6 trojans and a virus on the
> PC.  This is on a brand new drive that has not connected to anything
> other than an MS site.  I personally find this absolutely disgusting.
> I have made sure that everybody I know who uses a PC has been told
> about this.  I'm pushing Linux everywhere even if I have started to
> sound a bit evangelistic :-)

I too have had a very simular experience in the past, though i've been
windows free now for about 4 months, and for that exact reason. I got
tonnes of trojans spyware and about two viruses just by downloaded
things like the updates the firewall and anti-virus. This was with xp
though.

The question is, if linux becomes more popular (which it slowy is
doing) when do we have to start worrying about viruses for linux based
Operating systems?

--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,