[Wolves] More Ubuntu woes...

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 13:22:47 GMT 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:56:37 +0000 (GMT), Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  --- sparkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:
>
> > That said I can't tell Tim how to change the default
> > sudo settings or
> > how to add root (but you can sudo /usr/bin/bash (I
> > think) to get a root
> > shell)
>
> 'sudo password' activates the root account and asks
> you to supply a new root password, thereby getting you
> back to how things are normally are.
>
> Note that when you then run Synaptic or some other
> admin package, the password you are asked for is your
> user password rather than the root password you just
> created. Took me a few days to get my head around this
> way of thinking.

I'll add my bit for good measure.

sudo is pretty good but, for years i've been using 'su -' or 'su -c'
so it just feels wierd and maybe a little less secure as you only have
to enter your user password, im not saying it is. Im just stating that
it seems like this after being used to using su.

Also

If you wish to lock the root account again:

$ sudo usermod -L root

There was a manual way but if theres usermod dont both with it:

as root open /etc/shaddow (ie sudo vi /etc/shaddow) and put an '!'
(w/o quote) infront of the encrypted string, which locks the account.
--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,
SimonB