[Wolves] SUSE 9.2 Pro

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 11:28:17 GMT 2004

 --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have this little delight in front of me sometime
> very soon.  SuSE
> 9.2 is sitting under my desk as I type.  I'm puzzled
> though, Mo.  I
> thought the two DVD's were purely for 64bit chips?
> I have both of
> course in the boxed set (CD's and DVD's) .  The PC I
> shall install
> into - or upgrade as it already runs 9.1 - has a DVD
> drive so I can
> use either.  But the chip is a lowly old AMD K6
> 350mhz.
>
> Next, what exaclty would I have to back up to get my
> existing set up.
> What I would like to do is Install 9.2 onto a clean
> unused 80gb drive
> then swap over whatever files have my configuration
> data in them.  But
> which ones are they exactly?

My previous version of 9.0 pro also came with DVDs but
 it did not support 64 bit. At that time you had to
buy the 64 bit version separately. With 9.2 it is
integrated in one version. Use the DVD if you can.

Things to backup may include:

The Mail file from your home directory plus any
contacts in Kmail if you used that.
Export your bookmarks (they will be saved in a HTML
file in a directory of your choice).
All your documents, files, programmes you downloaded
etc write them to a CD.
Make note of any special settings for things like
monitor, modem, scanner, digital camera etc.

I would strongly suggest that you do a clean install
rather than an upgrade.

HTH

Cheers

Mo