[Wolves] K3B device permissions

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 31 10:29:10 GMT 2004

 --- sparkes <sparkes at westmids.biz> wrote:
> Mo Awkati wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have just installed SuSE 9.2 and I am not able
> > burn cds from normal user session, I have to
> change to
> > root to be able to use K3B. The messages I get are
> > mainly about cdrecord and cdrdao do not have
> > permission to access the device. When I use k3B's
> > system check I get the following messages:
> >

> This is probably a kernel issue.  The way cd writers
> work has been
> changed in the kernels and some (2.6.8?) have
> problems with some
> cdrecord versions.
>
> I think the fix was to delay upgrading the kernel or
> something ;-) grab
> the lastest kernel image (2.6.10 might be in yast by
> now) and try again.
>   Then if it doesn't work start playing with
> permissions on the
> cdrecorder device.
>
> sparkes

Hi Sparks

I updated the kernel after install with YAST online
update. Just a thought. I have just converted my
father-in-law's pc to Linux (no dual booting!! ), I
have also installed an internal cd writer and I have
just this second used it and k3b worked fine. I wonder
its because mine is an external usb cd writer? I had
no problems with SuSE 9.0 pro. If necessary I might
get me an internal one-I have been thinking of
changing anyway.

Mo