[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 12:26:20 GMT 2004

Matt Warwick said:

> You can always get a simple ADSL Ethernet modem or a Router, so you can
> plug it straight into your NIC like you would with blueyonder, for
> example:

Well, the ADSL modem I have is an Ethernet modem. From what I could tell,
the trouble came because UK DSL runs off PPoATM and my modem runs off
PPoE. So, the company who sells them in the UK wrote a Windows driver to
cope with that. The company said it should work out of the box with any
modern Linux distro, but it certainly didn't work with SuSe 8.2.

Am I wrong in saying that any Ethernet ADSL modem will still need some
form of driver under Linux or Windows? Or do some Ethernet ADSL modems
handle the log-in stuff internally?