[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 12:44:35 GMT 2004

David Goodwin said:
> ADSL - you can get static ips, it's cheaper (I believe) and just as quick.

Static IP depends on the ISP and package you buy.

The account I'm looking at (can't remember the name of the company just at
the mo) is £30 activation and £22.99 a month, which is a great price. The
thing is tho', price wise, I'm trying to look at the whole package:

BT line - 9.99 a month
Sky - approx £18.99 a month
ADSL - £22.99 a month

Total: 51.97 a month

OR

Telewest TV and phone line - £18.50 a month
Blueyonder cable - £25 a month

Total: £43.50 a month

That's with roughly equivalent packages on the tv thingy.

Hmm ... think I've answered my question there. Despite not liking the
Telewest phone service, I can't ignore savings of £8.47 a month. Plus, the
Blueyonder service is easier to run: apart from the MAC address based
authentication, as they have full control of the service, it's fee-free
and very easy to switch between service levels.

> I use a router (see http://www.solwise.co.uk for some suggestions) which
> does the dialling stuff, and can also act as a firewall if necessary.

Yeah, I've got a wireless router which worked perfectly with Blueyonder
but not with my ADSL modem! The only problem I have, then, is getting my
bloody wireless card to work with Linux.