[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 10:29:30 GMT 2004

Old Dan wrote:

> Aquarius wrote:
>
>> Matthew Revell spoo'd forth:
>>
>>> Right, I should  have moved into my new house by the end of next
>>> month, so
>>> it's time I chose: ADSL or Blueyonder.
>>

>> When I went cable, I did so for two reasons: so I could get cable
>> telly and phones too, and because ADSL was more expensive and less
>> well supported. These days, the second reason has pretty much gone
>> away, and there are fewer restrictions -- ADSL providers tend to let
>> you run servers on your end and so on without bitching as much, that
>> sort of thing. Given the choice, I think I'd probably go ADSL.
>
> Hear hear.
>
> But then I'm with ADSL myself so I'm probably biased... :)

Damn, why can't everyone make it easy for me, by saying the same thing? :)

> But I've found that running a HTTP server on blueyonder tends to get
> your IP changed, or (worse) the port blocked.  Quickly.  No I *wasn't*
> running an open relay, before anyone asks... ;)

Well, that's not an issue for me, I won't be running any public facing
servers on the machines I'll be using with the connection. Cheers for
the tip, tho'.

> If you're sensible and run smoothwall on an old-ish box directly
> facing the internet, ADSL with frogmodem /will/ work out-of-the-box.
> You just have to make sure to d/l the (small) binary driver first.

I've already got my own hardware, for ADSL. I may have to rethink, tho',
and buy a combined ADSL router/modem/wireless unit. Really, I want
something that handles all the log in and then just gives me a pure
ethernet connection to put into the rest of the network.