[Wolves] ADSL or cable broadband?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 11:34:39 GMT 2004

Old Dan wrote:

> Other people's mileage may vary on that, though.  It is merely my
> personal (probably quite limited) experience.  I'm just looking
> forward to ADSL 1Mb.  Mmmmm.....  :)

Another good thing about BY is that you can upgrade/downgrade your
service for just a month, and you only pay the extra subs fee, no
regrade fees.

>> I've already got my own hardware, for ADSL. I may have to rethink,
>> tho', and buy a combined ADSL router/modem/wireless unit. Really, I
>> want something that handles all the log in and then just gives me a
>> pure ethernet connection to put into the rest of the network.
>
> Smoothwall will do /precisely/ that.  Really.  You'd have to get a
> router for BY anyway, if you think about it.

Oh, that's the other thing, I already a wireless/4-port router that
works with BY. I'm quite interested in Smoothwall, tho', mainly because
I seem to be the only person in the LUG not already running it :)

> ...and smoothie would be cheaper as you'd just have to get hold of an
> old machine from somewhere (I hear what would have been Angel 2 is
> available ATM :) )

Really? :)

> You /can/ register more than one MAC with BY but only one can access
> the internet at a time (at least with the connection I used - back
> when I was living with $FOLKS, and I've also tried it more recently on
> a machine owned by a friend of mine)

I've tried running more than one MAC on the connection at once, and it
doesn't work.

Cheers,

Matt.