[Wolves] Flash alternative - is there?

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Mon Feb 2 15:51:40 GMT 2004

Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>you could always embed a movie file
>>(divx/.mov/.avi/.rm etc?)
>>
>>Don't know how realistic this is (file size,
>>development effort etc?),
>>and it would probably not interactive.
It would suffer from exactly the same problems as the current solution,
with the added bonus of having a file size of the average porn movie.  ;)

> I think filesize would be an issue here, and the user
> would still need to download a plugin.
>
> Incidentally, why is Flash an issue? I know it binary
> only and all that, but it really does provide
> something that little else will now. I could
> understand there being an issue if it was (a)
> proprietary, (b) not cross platform and (c) cost
> money, but until SVG becomes a viable solution, there
> is no real option. Also, who is this for? If it is for
> a typically Windows orientated audience, could this
> make it more acceptable?
It is for the work website - and yes it is very much a windows-oriented
audience.

It /is/ binary-only which makes me twitch.  I wanna do this /properly/.  :)

It also does cost money for the development app thingie.  I will look
into SVG but as you rightly say that is not widely supported yet.  I
suppose Flash & JavaScript is good for the old CV but I'd much rather
have something a bit clevererererer...  :)

Cheers guys - looks like I'll have to stick with Flash.

--
Dan
Flash!  A aaaaah! He'll save every one of us! etc.