[Wolves] Lycoris, Xandros - what's the point?

Steve Ruffles douseruffles at spruffles.plus.com
Mon Feb 2 22:08:14 GMT 2004

Hi,
I've tried Lycoris and didn't like it - it seemed buggy and gave me orblems
on boot up too. Xandros 1 I found better, installed easily set everything up
and looked pretty.Xandros 2 better again and co-exists with windows,
includes cross-over office, new versions of open office and later linux
kernel.It loks good value for money and could appeal to new users (like
me!)I liked it - installed Xandros 2 freebie off feb Linux magazine.
Turbolinux 10 also looks "nice" and might appeal again to new users and
possibly commercial users with easy install, easy update and useable range
of software.Which is as it should be I suppose. They may catch on because
they could work well for most people, and look enough like windows to be
comfortable, and are cheaper.Also are Suse/Redhat/SCO the Microsofts of the
Linux World? They should have some competition.
Trouble is though these other versions are "soulless". I see Linux as some
thing different, some thing new to learn, a challenge.
Which is why I'm replying from my XP pc tonight. Earlier on I updated my
Turbolinux system - it stalled during reboot and now I can't access it even
with rescue disk! Now getting I/O error reports, and can't access drive at
all!(Perhaps a coincidental controller failure - looks knackered though!).
Guess I'll try it again - looked good while it lasted!
Cheers
Steve Ruffles