[Wolves] OpenOffice File

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 20:50:04 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 19:49, Mo Awkati wrote:
> Help!! When I save openoffice text files and try to
> open them in konqueror (in file manager mode) the text
> files are saved in a funny format. They are saved with
> a file extention of .sxw. When I try to open one of
> these files I get loads of others. How can I get it to
> save a normal doc?
>
> I have checked OOo website and nothing mentioned
> there.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mo

If you want to force OOo to save as m$word etc, try this.
This will work in OOo 1.1, click on the menu item Tools -> Options.
Click on the + next to Load/Save, then click on General.
Under "Standard File Format" select "Text Document" then change the
"Always save as" combo box from OpenOffice.org to Microsoft Word
97/2000/XP.  Repeat as required for Spreadsheet etc.

To associate Konqueror, click on the menu item Settings, then Configure
Konqueror.  Click on "File Associations", then under Known types, click
on the + beside the word "application"  If there is not a type of
"msword" listed, click on the Add... button and add it. in the group
application.
Check a suitable icon is selected, the filename patterns should be *.doc
and *.dot, the description should be Microsoft Word Document and the
top/only item in the Application Preference order should be
OpenOffice.org Writer.

HTH

--
Ron Wellsted