[Wolves] Where does MyDoom come from?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 09:31:10 GMT 2004

Okay, the BBC have dragged themselves away from navel gazing after the
Hutton report and have published a story, by Stephen Evans, on the
origins of MyDoom. According to Stephen, "There seems little doubt that
SCO was targeted - illegally and unacceptably, lest anyone be in any
doubt - because it has enraged many people devoted to the Linux
operating system."

Fizzy mentioned that MyDoom appears to originate in Russia and that it's
more than likely that it's using SCO v Linux as a cover for yet more
spam associated stuff. Is there any evidence I can send to Stephen
Evans? Okay, it's not going to make any difference, but if he's going to
take the easy route of assuming members of the Linux community are
behind MyDoom, then I'd like to give him some reading material so that,
in the future, he can be better informed.

Can anyone help me?