[Wolves] two question's 'linux web servers' and 'active directory'

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sat Feb 7 10:54:56 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 21:56, Simon Burke wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Ok, i have this new server but i dont know what Os to run on it all i
> need is Apache, mySQL, a DNS and an email server. Other than BSD, which
> os would be best suited to this role, i've been casually looking at
> distros but cant decide.

probably best to try Debian as this is easier to setup as a minimum
required install.

> Second question, Does anyone know active directory, i just ask cuz we
> have a win2003 server at work, but no-one has permissions to browse the
> network, even domain admin. The permisions are set per user as far as i
> know to allow net browsing, but  when anyone tries they get an
> unauthorised to access this location error message. Any ideas??

M$ have finally applied some of the lessons that they have learnt over
the years.  By default, everything (even network access) is turn off out
of the box.  You have to specifically turn on the services that you need
in w2k3.