[Wolves] Am I forgiven?

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 15:04:12 GMT 2004

Hi David

Ha Ha close but no cigar (meant in a nice way not taking the pxxx, only
joking)

I want Linux to Linux

Sorry shouldn't have mentioned the dreaded OS windows

But I will put your email on file for later on when I'm 357 years old
and in a position to take my provisional badge in Linux management.

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 13:33, David Goodwin wrote:

> > 1. Do I need NFS or NIS
>
> no
> They're for talking linux<->linux
>
> > 2. Should both units have static IP and not DHCP (remembering the laptop
> > doesn't use DHCP (I believe)).
>
> no. static ips are one less thing to break on a small network, and
> reconfiguring things isn't much hassle.
>
> > 3. Am I correct and I can run two profiles simultaneously.
>
> probably, i don't know too much windwos stuff.. esp. with regards to
> profiles.
>
> > 4. I wish I had a brain.
>
> me too :)
>
> > 5. In return I may be able to come to the meeting on the 11th my wife is
> > off work! Anyone wishing to attend my public flogging for the "inner
> > circle" comment may bring their own birch sticks.
>
> you're on :)
>
> Set up your base unit as a Samba server, to do this edit
> /etc/samba/smb.conf - the existing entries should help you figure it
> out. Use "security = user" Run smbadduser (i think) and you should now
> be able to create a user with the same name as the one you use on windows.
>
> Access your server using either \\ipaddress or \\netbiosname
>

> To keep your files in sync I suggest you use Window's offline files
> thing (not in XP Home!), but in Win2k.....
>

> To check the underlying network is working, try ping'ing things etc.
>
> thanks
> David.

Regards

Peter Cannon