[Wolves] Nervous breakdown

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 15:56:13 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 14:50, David Goodwin wrote:
> > 1: Did an overlay installation of Fedora over RH9 (Now things like
> > network control won't work plus other stuff) luckily a college said use
> > the /sbin/ifup eth0:3 command
> >

> Does Fedora not offer an "upgrade" path from RH9? I'm getting a bit fed
> up with RH9 on my desktop here to be honest. Might revert to
> Slackware-current soon.

Yes it doe's thats the route I used but it did brilliant things like use
a different command structure for bringing up the network interface. (I
should be truthful at this point and admit that the GUI controller does
now work perhaps someone noticed the error/bug I didn't knowingly fix it
it suddenly started to work)

> > 2: Up2date stopped working but I solved that (I hope) with Yum
> >
> > 3: Followed instructions (they are written down in a form that any fool
> > can follow) to the letter for setting up cron jobs to run Sophos
> > antivirus sweeps automatically and a script called Savget to update
> > Sophos. Will it work? Will it bollocks! I can run them manually no
> > problem (apart from sweeping the mail haven't figured that one out yet!)
> > but as a cron? Don't be stupid I'd have more luck getting a pay rise.
>
> Is the virus checking for Windows machines or the Linux box itself?

The do all flavours even MAC you just have to install the right one. We
are resellers of this product but I have it for free, they don't do a
GUI front end yet (Novices like me need GUI so that we can be reassured
things are happening there's nothing like a progress bar to pacify an
imbecile like me).

> Make sure you specify the _full_ path to any executables you may be
> running in a cron script, as often $PATH is not set.
> i.e. not "savget" but "/usr/bin/savget" or "/usr/local/bin/savget" or
> where ever it is.

Here we go

# Sophos
08 14 * * * /usr/local/bin/savget -a
30 10,16 * * * /usr/local/bin/sweep / -f -p=/var/log/savlog.log

The weird thing is when I made the changes there is now what I call in
Windows a ghost file I have the cron file but there is also a cron~ file
as well, this is the type of thing I mean I know it shouldn't be there
but how do I sort it? and surely it shouldn't happen?

> > 4: Spent all day Saturday (09:00 to 19:00) trying to get the laptop
> > (Fedora) to talk to the pc (Suse) Matt kindly sent info but all to no
> > avail nearly threw everything out the window and was tempted to give up
> > on Linux altogether.
>
> If you assigned them similar IP addresses (e.g. 192.168.0.1 and
> 192.168.0.2) were you able to ping each other?
> Did the output from ifconfig show that the cards were correctly
> configured? Were any lights (on the network cards, or hubs) flashing?

OK deep breath, You might shout at me, 1st I always thought the
server(PC) had to have a higher number eg x.x.0.99 however the books
kept giving the same numbers (I can photocopy to prove if you like) for
the client and the server!! I thought maybe Linux was different and
thats why they had the same addresses I could ping but I think I was
just pinging myself "Doh!"

> If you are positive you have e.g. networking working ok under Windows,
> then try pinging one box while it's running windows from the other
> running Linux - this would verify that the linux box is configured ok -
> often with two hosts it's hard to tell which isn't cooperating!

Now this is the good bit possibly it's the names that are clouding the
issue ie "hosts" oh! stuff it.

Is this right?

Server(PC) Suse 192.168.0.99
Client (Laptop) Fedora 192.168.0.1

Now don,t scream I then used the command "mount
192.168.0.2:/home/sneyd/share /home/sneyd/suse"

Having created an account on both machines called sneyd (since disabled
for any hacker out there) trying to mount the suse share on the laptop.

I did get permission denied by server but I wasn't sure if that was the
laptop denying permission to do the mount or the suse machine telling me
to get lost.

If I can only mount as root surely it will tell me to get lost as user
"sneyd" (Fedora) is trying to connect to "sneyd" suse?

All I want to do is swap pictures and files is that too much to ask?

> > 5. My mails to the list seem to be selective some get through some
> > don't.
>
> I think Jono might have fixed that now ?

Yes he mailed me but some I sent early this morning have not got
through.

> > 6: Got some half loaded programs from the Linux Format cover disks
> > spewed over the Fedora system because make install did not work and I
> > don't know how to clean off part installed programs that have been
> > installed using ./configure, make, make install.
>
> Try "make uninstall" it sometimes works. Otherwise don't worry, or stick
> with packages (e.g. .rpm )

Yeah I quite like packages and if you use xamiam's Red Carpet to install
them Red carpet will find the dependencies as well pretty good for
novices like me.

> > 7: I'm convinced my Fedora has 2 billion faults and errors on it even
> > though it eventually fires up and I can browse the Internet, send emails
> > and write and save documents. However I really don't want to wipe it and
> > install again as I don't think it would resolve much other than having
> > only 1 billion as apposed to 2 billion problems.
> >

> Well - at least half your problems would have been solved!

I hope so

> > 8: My total Linux claim to fame at present stands at "I can turn the
> > poxy thing on an off" impressive or what!
>
> It's a start. We all start somewhere.

Yeah but I want to be smart like wot U R