[Wolves] Nervous breakdown

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 16:09:04 GMT 2004

>>Make sure you specify the _full_ path to any executables you may be
>>running in a cron script, as often $PATH is not set.
>>i.e. not "savget" but "/usr/bin/savget" or "/usr/local/bin/savget" or
>>where ever it is.
>

> Here we go
>
> # Sophos
> 08 14 * * * /usr/local/bin/savget -a
> 30 10,16 * * * /usr/local/bin/sweep / -f -p=/var/log/savlog.log
>
> The weird thing is when I made the changes there is now what I call in
> Windows a ghost file I have the cron file but there is also a cron~ file
> as well, this is the type of thing I mean I know it shouldn't be there
> but how do I sort it? and surely it shouldn't happen?

I assume you edited the crontab entry using "crontab -e" or similar?
You should be able to delete the cron~ file - some editors leave them
behind so you can revert to an old/previous incarnation of the file
incase you make a bo-bo.

> OK deep breath, You might shout at me, 1st I always thought the
> server(PC) had to have a higher number eg x.x.0.99 however the books
> kept giving the same numbers (I can photocopy to prove if you like) for
> the client and the server!! I thought maybe Linux was different and
> thats why they had the same addresses I could ping but I think I was
> just pinging myself "Doh!"

It doesn't matter who gets what IP address, as long as they are
different, and on the same subnet.

>>If you are positive you have e.g. networking working ok under Windows,
>>then try pinging one box while it's running windows from the other
>>running Linux - this would verify that the linux box is configured ok -
>>often with two hosts it's hard to tell which isn't cooperating!
>

> Now this is the good bit possibly it's the names that are clouding the
> issue ie "hosts" oh! stuff it.
>
> Is this right?
>
> Server(PC) Suse 192.168.0.99
> Client (Laptop) Fedora 192.168.0.1

OK.
So you have in /etc/hosts :

192.168.0.1 fedora
192.168.0.99 suse

??

You don't need names really - just see if you can get things working at
the IP level first, and then add in name resolution - it's one less
thing to debug.

> Now don,t scream I then used the command "mount
> 192.168.0.2:/home/sneyd/share /home/sneyd/suse"

I'll assume that 192.168.0.2 is an existing server?

> Having created an account on both machines called sneyd (since disabled
> for any hacker out there) trying to mount the suse share on the laptop.
>
> I did get permission denied by server but I wasn't sure if that was the
> laptop denying permission to do the mount or the suse machine telling me
> to get lost.

Did you edit /etc/exports ? If not add in an entry like :

/home/sneyd/share *()

and run "exportfs -rv"

> If I can only mount as root surely it will tell me to get lost as user
> "sneyd" (Fedora) is trying to connect to "sneyd" suse?

No. NFS will map user id's across (but you need to make sure sneyd has
the same User Id on both systems for this to happen).

> All I want to do is swap pictures and files is that too much to ask?

no :)

> Yeah I quite like packages and if you use xamiam's Red Carpet to install
> them Red carpet will find the dependencies as well pretty good for
> novices like me.

apt-get is pretty good too...

> Yeah but I want to be smart like wot U R

If only...

David.