[Wolves] mozilla annoyances ?

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 10:32:24 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:

>Because people create crappy alt tags. You want to encourage people to
>use alt tags for alternative text and title tags for tooltips. Anyone
>who has created an alt tag as a tooltip has done a crappy alt tag *by
>definition*. Therefore, if we *don't* display them as tooltips, when
>they say "why doesn't it work as a tooltip?" they'll be told "alt tags
>and title tags are different; add your tooltip to the title tag instead".

That's very noble - to try to right the wrongs of the world's approach
to alt tags - but I don't think that making Mozilla appear to be broken,
in this case, is the right way of going about it. Here's an analogy: our
beloved government claim to want to move people from the roads and onto
public transport. So, they increase the cost of motoring. That's the
brutal, Neanderthal approach. It's also the approach that Mozilla are
taking with alt tags.

The reality is that people use their cars and expect to use their cars.
The reality is also that people expect alt tags - for whatever
historical quirk - to act as tooltips. In the case of the government,
they should provide a viable alternative to the car (or encourage the
private sector to do so), rather than just making it more difficult to
use the car. In the case of Mozilla, probably exclusively in the case of
alt/title tags, they should educate people, rather than taking the
brutal approach, which - in the short to medium term - makes the web
less useful for the majority of Mozilla users.

Just because David Beckham does not have the greatest way with words, I
don't demand he be prevented from speaking. I might, though, like to
educate him to improve the way that he uses English, because he's looked
up to by many young people.

Who's going to tell people that alt and title tags are different? I
think what'll really happen is people will look at Mozilla and think,
"Oh, that's broken." It may put some people off from using, it may not
be of much consequence to others and a -  tiny - minority will pootle
off and report it as a bug, only to feel the full wrath of one of the
worst things on the face of the Earth: a fundamentalist in full rant
mode. Then they'll think, "Ah, sod this, I'm gonna use IE again" and
Microsoft will continue to do w.t.f they like with web standards and the
rest of the world will have to go swing.

I keep reading a lot of "Aha, you don't care about disabled people" type
stuff, surrounding this topic, whenever someone says that alt tags
should be presented as tooltips. Excuse my language, I'm not often one
to swear in public forums, but what a load of f*cking bollocks. This
really angers me: it's no more than social-conscience blackmail. Alt
tags are displayed by most browsers as tooltips: that does not make
people write poor alt tags. People write poor alt tags because they
don't know how to write for the web. People write poor alt tags because
they don't consider what information they need to communicate with them
and that has arse all to do with whether or not alt tags are displayed
as a tool tip. Okay, the standard chant is, "People write tooltips, not
alt tags" but my response is, yet again, "No, people write bad alt tags,
whatever the reason and preventing them from being displayed as an
alternative to tooltip to a missing title tag, does not make people
write good alt tags". People need to be educated in how to write for the
web - that's what ContentPeople is for :)

While we're on the subject of people not being able to write for the
web: I heard a Christian minister once respond to someone asking about
allegations of backwards Satanic chants being inserted into metal songs.
His response was, "Don't worry about what they're saying backwards, when
what they're saying forwards is so bad." My version: "Don't worry about
the alt tags, when the rest of the site is so inaccessible." The
accessibility issue has far more to do with people running graphics
heavy websites, with tabular layout and with people not having a
freaking clue about writing for the web medium.