[Wolves] mozilla annoyances ?

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Wed Feb 25 13:02:04 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 07:37, Aquarius wrote:

> Because people create crappy alt tags. You want to encourage people to
> use alt tags for alternative text and title tags for tooltips. Anyone
> who has created an alt tag as a tooltip has done a crappy alt tag *by
> definition*. Therefore, if we *don't* display them as tooltips, when
> they say "why doesn't it work as a tooltip?" they'll be told "alt tags
> and title tags are different; add your tooltip to the title tag instead".

There is one thing I would like to add to this discussion.  Sometimes
images are used for things other than conveying information.  This is
wrong but it should be an acceptable wrong.  If an image has "*" as it's
alt attribute it should be ignored by screen readers and browsers.  This
should become a part of the standard.  In fact lack of the alt attribute
should be a flogging offence ;-)

> Aq.

sparkes