[Wolves] WebDAV

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Feb 27 16:20:56 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> I've got a mixed Windows/Linux network at Castle Aq. Now, sharing files
> between the machines is a neat thing, I think. Since NFS bites the fat
> one, I thought that the best way to do this was with Samba. But I
> am rapidly concluding that this is Not The Case, because I cannot
> get Samba to work properly. So, I got to thinking. Would it be easier
> to do this with WebDAV? MS Explorer does the "web folders" thing, and
> there are a fair few Linux apps that will read and write WebDAV folders.
> Has anyone tried this? Is it any good? Please don't suggest that I
> just get Samba working, because I just don't *get* it for some reason.

Aq,

I did try WebDAV once but it was Hard(tm).  I presume it would work for
sharing files on the local network but TBH it'd be like using an ICBM to
crack a nut - I mean I don't suppose you need the versioning and such it
does do you?

--
Dan
PS: Samba is so easy even I (Mr. Big 'Answer lots of questions about