[Wolves] Consultancy work thingie for union office.

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Thu Jan 8 10:04:28 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> Old Dan spoo'd forth:
>>Now I've got rid of WinVNC from their machines but they still are
>>paranoid management are nicking off with their files when they aren't
>>there.  What they want is unmonitored (at least by management) internet
>>access and a way to secure their files so management don't get a
>>look-see.  I was thinking smoothie for the internet access and maybe the
>>use of an external hosting service running tikiwiki or somesuch for the
>>files - it will slow them down I know but at least they'd be sure there
>>is no snooping going on, and they'd have external access.  (I'll give
>>them a crash course in secure passwords... :) )  They are running XP.
>
> If management have 0wned their machines then having an external site
> won't help, because management could install keyboard trackers and
> whatnot that record passwords that are entered...

I know - I could sniff for that kind of activity before we started
though couldn't I?  Also I could install a firewall between them and the
rest of the network which only allows certain ports and then only allows
established/related connections - of course that won't work if the
clandestine software is installed on the union machines.  I'm beginning
to think that they should terminate the support contract with management
and just go with another company (Dan Enterprises? :) ) but that means
that they won't have access to the council network which I think they
need for something.  (I'm not sure what - I'll know on saturday when I
see them)

--
Dan