[Wolves] Consultancy work thingie for union office.

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 10:20:11 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 10:10, Old Dan wrote:
> David Goodwin wrote:
> > Try freenet for encrypted net access.. hard to trace, secure..
> Thanks. I'll look at that.

Oh, did i mention, it's dead slow too. I tried freenet for about 2 hours
and it took about 10 minutes to load a web page. It has an optional web
proxy thing - which I didn't investigate so I don't know what it's
performance is like.

> > of course i don't think anything can beat a good key sniffer.
> >
> > Using Linux would probably confuse management, but they'd probably be
> > unable to do much.
> >
> > What about external storage - usb pen drives with encryption etc?
> They can get lost.  Or stolen.

Anything can be stolen or lost..... but if they are encrypted at least
the contents of them won't be available to be read by anyone!

> > If their best attempt at monitoring remotely was vnc, then they're not
> > exactly clued up ;) what's wrong wtih back orrifice?
> BO gets picked up by just about every virus scanner on the face of the
> planet, that's what's wrong with it.  :)  Besides, BO is easily defeated
> - you just have to block it's port, don't you?

*shrug* i know nothing about it, but yes... i think it can be blocked by
a firewall.
--
Technical Consultant
Open Minds High Availability Solutions
e : david.goodwin at openminds.co.uk
t : +44 (0)121 313 3947 f : +44 (0)121 313 3944