[Wolves] Off topic - travelwm

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Jan 16 03:53:30 GMT 2004

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Old Dan said:
>
>>(Although it has to be said to call the site www.diy-dating.com an
>>'adult/dating site' is pushing it a bit - the description really does
>>imply 'pr0n', doesn't it?  I think they've called it that for the
>>sensation value (it is the Express & Star, after all...))
>
> Does seem a little Daily Mail to call it a porn site...
I got a hold of the AdNews from my parents this evening.  It is hilarious.

Some quotes about the site:
Headline:  'Timetable seekers diverted to 'filthy' internet site: Bus
passengers' sex website shock'

...'sordid and filthy' website featuring couples having sex...

...that the company have branded peddlers in porn...

Quote from Phil Bateman:  'I have seen the website and there is no other
word for it than filth .... What our customers will get if they get the
address slightly wrong isn't timetable information but simply filth.'

It does mention that to get to the couple you have to click on club-x
but compared to most sites containing that kind of material on the net -
I mean Jesus!  You get far far worse in tabloid newspapers.

I think it's about as far removed from reality as the price tag on the
front page.  I mean who would actually pay for this paper?

I'm not sure who to back on this one - the guy who was - er - economical
with the truth when he talked about being '...parked on a server which
by default always refreshed to diydating or a similar site...' diydating
being what turned out to be his own site (presumably he expected us not
to know how to use the 'whois' command) or Travel West Midlands who seem
to be feigning shock just to maximise public sympathy and using
sensation-seeking local rags who care little for anything but some vague
semblance if the actual truth to that end.

Jeez.  Can you /both/ lose?  :)

--
Dan