[Wolves] Small Linuxes

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Sun Jan 18 19:40:46 GMT 2004

sparkes spoo'd forth:
> On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 16:30, Aquarius wrote:
>
>> Sparkes in "If I only had a brain" shocker. :)
>>
> Aq in "If only I had a beard" shocker ;-)

Touche. :-)

>> There are lots of distributions based on Knoppix that do not have such
>> heavy hardware requirements but *do* retain the hardware detection and
>> so on.
> but they are only knoppix in the same way that knoppix is debian.  I
> stand by my original statement that knoppix is not for flaky hardware
> and is too bloated to do anything other than show linux desktops to
> disbelievers.

Hm. It's fine for people who've got a pretty new machine, I think. I do take
your point here, mind.

>> I recommend either Damn Small Linux or Feather Linux, both of which
>> seem great to me and keep all the nice features of Knoppix. DSL will fit
>> onto a 50MB business card CD.
> But it's not knoppix is it?

Why? DSL is Knoppix without most of the packages, that's all. You could make
your own DSL by booting Knoppix, doing a HD install, and then removing 90%
of it. Your problem is only that it won't boot because it's KDE by default.
Similarly, you could pretty much get a full-on Knoppix install by booting
DSL, doing a HD install, and then apt-get installing everything that exists. ;)

Aq.

--
 The carrot is hiding in your coat pocket.  "Don't let me be
eaten!" it begs in a pathetic, orange voice.