[Wolves] Small Linuxes

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Sun Jan 18 20:14:06 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 19:39, Aquarius wrote:
<snip>

> >> I recommend either Damn Small Linux or Feather Linux, both of which
> >> seem great to me and keep all the nice features of Knoppix. DSL will fit
> >> onto a 50MB business card CD.
> > But it's not knoppix is it?
>
> Why? DSL is Knoppix without most of the packages, that's all. You could make
> your own DSL by booting Knoppix, doing a HD install, and then removing 90%
> of it.
But then it's stripped down Knoppix, Dam Small Linux is already sorted
so why have the headache of a slooooooooowwwwww power up only to remove
most of the gunk after your hd install.  Just use DSL from the
begining.  You wouldn't install a debian desktop system, add the
autodectect stuff from knoppix, write it as an iso filesystem, burn the
cd, boot it, hd install it, and then strip it back to dam small linux,
would you? No, you quite rightly go for the path of least resistance and
if you have a 486 laptop knoppix isn't the starting point for you.

> Your problem is only that it won't boot because it's KDE by default.
> Similarly, you could pretty much get a full-on Knoppix install by booting
> DSL, doing a HD install, and then apt-get installing everything that exists. ;)

yeah and you could change source.list to point to debian mirrors,
'apt-get update' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and get 'the real thing'
(tm) ;-)

My original point was knoppix and other 'desktop' livecd's are not
suited to a 486 machine.

I agree that DSL and other lightweight distro's are suited to the lappy
in question and this would provide an easy way to get the system up and
running using whatever suggestion is taken on board, but they ain't
knoppix whatever their parentage ;-)

> Aq.
sparkes