[Wolves] Small Linuxes

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 21:29:49 GMT 2004

Thanks everybody for your help. It's a 486SX33, you
can look at the processor simply by flipping 2
switches and pulling the keyboard up. There it was
proudly displaying Intel 486SX ;)

My plan is to try remote X, but it will probably most
likely be CLI, just text editting, some network
disgnostics and yes kismet.

As for distros, I have no optical drive, so Damn Small
Linux and Feather Linux are out. Smoothwall is also
out as I have a very satisfactory smoothwall setup
already, the lack of RAM would cause it to grind
uncontrollably and most importantly, Smoothwall
doesn't do laptops very well and certainly doesn't do
PCMCIA. I will be looking at the Debian floppies
install for starters. If that is a problem for any
reason, the 4MB Linux laptop Howto
http://website.lineone.net/~brichardson/linux/4mb_laptops/4mb_Laptops.html
recommends Small Linux
http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/ or muLinux
http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/ and I might look at Tom's
Root/Boot http://www.toms.net/rb/

Again, thanks David, Aq, Sparkes and Steve Ruffles. I
will report back if I get it working usefully. I might
even write it up for linux-laptop.net :)

Ad

=====
http://www.drinky.org.uk

Use Linux. Because it's better.