[Wolves] Environmental impact of websites

trog trog at trog-oz.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 18:34:17 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004  9:39 am, you wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I'm researching an article on the environmental impact of websites.
> There's been some talk, in recent years, of how publishing via the web is
> more environmentally friendly, than traditional paper-based publishing.

No definite proof, but IMO the expansion of the web has made it more
environmentally unfriendly.  You want some advice on solving a PC problem,
so you search the web and you find the answer.  What do you do? Print off the
pdf document (or web site), take it to the PC that is experiencing the
problem, mend problem, discard paper.

At work (a school) all the kids are printing off previous exam papers that
they have located on the web.  They print off huge wads of paper, none of
which gets read.  Also they do all their course work on PCs, printing off
huge wads of stuff all downloaded.   When I was at school and we had a
thousand word essay to write, we'd labour for days doing it.  Now you can
knock it up in a couple of minutes.

--
Trog Woolley  |  trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk
(A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)