[Wolves] Environmental impact of websites

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 09:56:10 GMT 2004

Am I the only person who had to pay per sheet for printouts at college/uni
at 5p a sheet you find that 50 page document costs you £2.50 (aka a pint of
beer) and realise you can live without it.

While there are lots of enviomental costs in producing and using a PC they
are a one time cost (except power and paper obviously) that then allows you
to view many many books worth of webpages, so while one computer is far less
enviromentaly friendly then one book they are not equivalent, its more like
one computer vs one (or many) library (ies).

There must be a point where a computer becomes more environmentally friendly
then books per bit of information, I guess the question is does that point
come at a realistic level.

chris