[Wolves] *nix packaging; was RPM

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Wed Jan 21 10:51:46 GMT 2004

fizzy spoo'd forth:
> Stupid question, why is it that some things aren't in
> the official debian archive? I noted last night that
> mozilla and kde (I think) were on seperate servers.

Both of those things are in the official archive. Someone
also happens to package up more bleeding-edge versions of
them and store them in another aptable archive somewhere
else.

> so I dunno... Other stupid question, how do I know
> what toy story character version of debian I'm on and
> how do I change between them (and know the
> differences). </stupid questions>

The characters are just codenames for releases.
/etc/debian_version tells you which version you are
running -- stable is woody is 3.0. sarge is the testing
distribution, which doesn't have a number because it
hasn't been released. On the next major release of Debian,
sarge will become stable, and testing will get a new name
(as yet undecided). Debian unstable is *always* called
"sid". Changing between them means editing your
/etc/apt/sources.list to point at a different distribution
and then doing apt-get dist-upgrade. Note that downgrades
going from testing to stable, say) are a bit iffy and don't
always work.

Aq.

--
I would not bet against the existence of time machines; my opponent
may have seen the future and know the answer.