[Wolves] Micro$oft Access DB

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Tue Jan 27 15:10:34 GMT 2004

Re-LoaD's LUG Mail wrote:
> Hi All,
>     I'm after some help please.
> We have here at work an access data base about 18MB in size, currently if a
> user needs to use said data base he/she just opens the file over the novell
> shares.
> This basically transfers the whole file to the local machine, Not very quick
> and some users don't even have access to the correct share.
> Ok what I have been asked is can this data base be held on a central server
> with a web based front end ??
Yes.  Actually as a quick fix you could just have the Access DB opened
as a shared file (as in non-exclusive) - believe it or not this does
work, at least for a limited number of users.

Of course that won't work for people who do not have access to the
correct share.  Is there a reason for this?

> now I know nothing about data bases / access and very little about web based
> front ends.
>
> Can any one point me in the right direction, a place to start. Can access
> data bases be converted into other formats ?
Yes, although you may find that, depending on the DB functionality
required from it, you may be better off porting to PostgreSQL rather
than MySQL.  One tool I've found useful for this is pgAdmin - it
actually has wizards you can use for the tables/queries, though
obviously the UI front-end you'll have to recreate.

> I do have Mysql, apache, perl, etc installed on my Linux servers what I
> would like to do is hold the data base on one server ( this is my main
> store )
> and run web queries from the web server.
What actual functionality is required of the front-end?  (That'd help...
:) )

--
Dan