[Wolves] Crash Help Please.

Gary gary at leamore.net
Fri Jul 2 20:50:15 BST 2004

Hmm, well It is only happening on SuSE 9.1
it happens on 3 servers.
a)is an ASUS a7m266 with 2 AMD athlon 2000 MP processors, 29160 scsi card and 2 3COM network cards.
b)is a gigabyte 8egxr-p with 2000 Xeon processor, no additional hardware, using onboard scsi and network.
c)is a new IBM X345 8670 Server with 8Gb RAM, 2x 3.06 Xeon processors U320 etc etc all onboard out of the box.

All servers run in a cool room and run cool themselves.

All servers with SuSE 9.1 seem to crash after a few days going live. I can't even log into the system as the keyboard don't respond to any keys (not tried the magic sys keys, but will try those next).

After the default SMP kernel supplied by SuSE kept crashing the system, I did compile a new 2.6.6 kernel on 1 of the servers above, and a 2.6.7 kernel on the other - I have taken the IBM one offline for the time being. The 2.6.7 kernel one seems to be fine for the moment (touch wood), but 2.6.6 fell over after 2 weeks.

The servers are reasonably busy in that one is running all our mysql stuff, and the other our web server (just under 2 million hits per day, from webalizer)

I don't know if its a kernel problem or what ? All server were using EXT3 ?

Any ideas ?
Gary

Mo Awkati <mawkati at yahoo.co.uk> wrote ..