[Wolves] Debian Install Update

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 13:28:16 BST 2004

Hi All

Just a quick update on the installation of Debian on a laptop Noah used on the
Ark!

I was using Debian Woody.
As this is a very old piece of kit, there is an excellent feature of install
floppies consisting of 25 disks.

The first five are setup disks and the remainder (20 disks) are the base
files, this is ideal if you do not have a CD-ROM or a non bootable CD-ROM
(like the Digital I have) I got a bit stuck as I failed to load a driver for
the NIC, I will say that the base system recognised the PCMCIA CD-ROM I have
access to but as I haven't burnt the iso's I gave up.

This may well have worked but I'm feeling lazy.

I purchased White Box Linux (this is an off shoot of RedHat) from
http://www.uselinux.co.uk/index.php for the huge amount of £4.00 + £1.00
postage, what a bargain!

This is loading as I speak using a sneaky feature I have copied the 3 iso's to
the C: partition then using a boot floppy (From the white box images file)
boot the machine tell it to install from hard drive give it the location and
away you go.

I don't think this will be 100% successful either as it said I did not have
enough memory to run a graphical install so I take it I will not be able to
run in graphical mode?

So far the only distro that has just about worked is Vector Linux if anyone
knows another flavour that will run in GUI on a Laptop P133 with 40MB 6GB HDD
No CD-ROM (except under windows as this is dual boot) I would be grateful
just keep in mind the install issues.

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"