[Wolves] Open Source successes at work

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Wed Jul 21 15:07:18 BST 2004

Philip Moore wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have just completed a computing degree and one module used MOODLE as the
> basis of the mode of study (a VLE).  From a student perspective it was (I
> found) very good.  I found your observations very interesting.
>
> A further thought - does the software used by the Open University work under
> Linux? - I will enquire with the OU - I will find out in any event when I
> start the OU course.

The OU uses FirstClass as the mail/conferencing thingie which has a
Linux beta client which you can use if you can manage to get on the beta
program, which I haven't.  However, FirstClass also has a web interface
which works with browsers other than IE(and therefore Linux) quite happily.

The other software which comes with courses is IME almost exclusively
windows-only though.  Although they do send some Open Source software
out in the form of Star Office(for Windows...)

I suppose you could always try your luck with Wine.

Kinda sucks really.

--
Dan