[Wolves] PAT/NAT

SimonB simonb at geek-web.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 11:14:24 BST 2004

David Goodwin wrote:

> What's a PAT? P=Partial?

PAT - Port Address Translation

Port Address Translation or “Porting” is a feature which allows many
devices on a LAN (Local Area Network) to share one IP address by
allocating a unique port address at layer four. The system is popular as
in enables greater efficiency, apparnetly.

> I'd keep as many of the public ip's usused as possible, and reserve them
> for servers etc in the future - so you could e.g. split the mail,www etc
> up in the future.
>
> Generally end users don't need public ips.
>
> Having said that I've no idea what your machines do/are for etc.
>

> David.

We are not intending on putting any servers on which require public
ip's, I'm no teven sure why they got public IP's as we shall never use it.
All our machines are for designers (graphic/web and post production for
screen and such) and such and a simple server for Active Directory
(which i now hate)