[Wolves] Browser integration of JRE?

Mark R. Trotman mark at armscroft.com
Tue Jun 15 10:03:08 BST 2004

Has anyone succesfully managed to get JRE working with Mozilla or
Netscape?

Having just upgraded from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora Core 2, I thought I'd try
(yet again) to get JRE working with my browser of choice, Netscape 7.1.
Firstly, I downloaded the latest J2RE.bin package from Sun and installed
it as per their instructions (basically, download the package chmod +x
then run the self extracting binary. Open the browser, find an
appropriate website and .... nothing! Much searching and cursing later,
I found that (according to some) it was possible to register it with the
browser by creating a symbolic link from the appropriate .so file to the
/netscape/plugin directory. This I did and when I tried to restart the
browser it failed to initialize. Removing the symb. link cured it!
Thoughts anyone?

As an aside, I have to say that the Fedora Core 2 install went perfectly
and can thoroughly recommend it. It has come a loooong way from RH5 and
all that mod probing, entering horizontal and vertical sync rates etc.
that we used to have to do. At last, we are starting to see light at the
end of the tunnel and linux will very soon be a very real threat to M$
for the desktop. :-D

--

Cheers!

Mark