[Wolves] e-mail server

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Tue Jun 15 15:30:21 BST 2004

SimonB wrote:
> Hiya,
> Right i've had enought with my hosting again it having at max a 80%
> uptime and thats annoying.
What's the uptime with BY then?

> So three questions:
>
> 1. Will BY let me run a e-mail server on my connection? or rather can i
> get away with it?

Yep.

> 2. If no, then does anyone know where i can get reliable IMAP e-mail
> hosting (with at least a 100Mb per mailbox limit, need about 2 or 3
> mailboxes and where i can use my own domain, ie simonb at geek-web.co.uk)
>
> 3. If yes to 1, then what is a decent, stable IMAP server that doesn't
> need much playing with once its setup.

UW-Imapd runs with normal default mailboxes but doesn't support shared
folders - but it runs out-of-the-apt-get, so to speak.  Cyrus IMAP
supports shared folders but you need to do a bit of configuring to get
the thing up and running.  There is another (courier I think) but I have
no experience of it.

IME at least the first two are nice'n'stable.  I've got
cyrus+amavisd+clamav+spamassassin+postfix+fetchmail running here without
too much hitch.  :)
(I don't use squirrelmail anymore because I've got paranoid about it's
security)

--
Dan