[Wolves] Anti-Virus

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Tue Jun 15 16:38:27 BST 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 Jun 2004 16:18, Old Dan wrote:
>
>>It plugs in to amavis so anyone who actually really needs it (read: any
>>windows users connected) can get their mails scanned at the server end.
>
> amavis? I intend installaing on a Laptop so I dont quite understand this bit

Amavis is something used to tie email processors (like spamassassin for
spam, clamav for virii) to the mail transport agent to allow filtering
before mails ever even /get/ to users' mail clients.

(Yeah, guys, I know that the terminology used there probably wasn't
completely precise, but it describes basically what the thing does.
Bite me.)

>>How were you using sophos?
>
> Hm not as good as my office installation, really its a Windows package it only
> runs in txt mode you could run it with the command sweep which would do a
> quick scan, or sweep / which would do a full sweep of the root directory.
>
> I set up a couple of cron jobs one for updating and one for sweeping the
> system at 10 am and 2pm.

Ah.  You're doing a local scan on a linux-only box then?

One question: Why?

>>>Installation will be dependant on your reviews.
>>
>>Unfortunately I haven't been using it long enough to give any more of a
>>review than that yet - the thing hasn't acted in anger yet, it's only
>>picked up test virii I have requested.
>
> Test viri!!?? your a brave man! deliberatley trying to infect your system.

No, you misunderstand - the 'test' virii were specifically set up /to/
test AV software (see http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest ) - they were
completely benevolent.

HTH

--