[Wolves] Digital Radio (OFFTOPIC TV detectors)

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu Jun 24 11:11:46 BST 2004

The artist formally known as Peter Cannon was heard to say...
> On Thursday 24 Jun 2004 10:30, Chris Procter wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how this works? I guess its some sort of device built
>> into
>> the tv that responds to the detector rather then say radiation leakage
>> from
>> the tube (in the same way you can allegedly read a screen by detecting
>> its
>> radiation leakage) which wouldn't occur when the tv was off. Does it
>> make a
>> difference if the TV is unplugged rather then just in standby?
>
> I've always thought it was a bit of a con job they may well be able to
> detect
> a running TV but I dont think they can detect one that is off.

I don't understand how they detect an off set either as it might passively
recieve some signals (but probably very few otherwise it wouldn't get a
licence to be sold in the country) but it certainly doesn't transmit them
like an on tv set does.

Unless someone actully knows how this works I assume that it's a con job
as well.

> I think
> youll
> find they use the tried and trusted techniques of looking at the database
> see if your address has a valid license having a guy walk the streets with
> list and looking in your window to see if you have a TV.

If you don't have any licence at all then these days I think you are fair
game for the odd visit every couple of years.  This is simply due to the
fact that 90(sumat)% of people have a tv set.  If you rent videos (as most
videos are also colour recievers) or subscribe to sky then you are
definatly  fair game for the knock on the door.  It's got to be
traditional detective work that tells them where to go.  If a street has
three houses with no licence then a bloke who doesn't like football could
probably catch a couple of people watching the game tonight just by
walking up to the front door listening to what's happening inside.

> Now before everyone starts I know its against the law to look through your
> window but lets not pretend we live in a law abiding world.

Pah, looking through a window is nothing if they have already looked at
your credit records and everything to see if you have made any large
electrical purchases or ever forgot to pay sky for a couple of months ;-)

sparkes

PS - I got a reminder to set up my direct debit again the other day.  So I
should really get that done before I comment further ;-)  I have only a
couple of weeks left on my old licence.