[Wolves] Booting to command line in Fedora

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 13:20:38 BST 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 Jun 2004 13:01, Katherine Goodwin wrote:
>

>>This may be stating the obvious, but have you tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 ?
>

> Ooh Whats that do?

It takes you to the first virtual console. Normally there are 6 of these
text based consoles. The 7th is used for X11 stuff, although this is not
always the case.

Therefore, if you upgrade e.g. the kernel, and reboot, and find X broken
(e.g. you need to recompile that nvidia kernel module), you can press
alt+ctrl+F[1-6] to get to a text based console to fix it.

alt+ctrl+F7 normally takes you back to X.

Also - when you are in a text console, you can use alt+ArrowLeftOrRight
key to scroll through them (I believe the ctrl is only really for when
you're in X.. but it works outside X too).

David.