[Wolves] Booting to command line in Fedora

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 29 13:34:27 BST 2004

On Tuesday 29 Jun 2004 13:20, David Goodwin wrote:

> It takes you to the first virtual console. Normally there are 6 of these
> text based consoles. The 7th is used for X11 stuff, although this is not
> always the case.
>
> Therefore, if you upgrade e.g. the kernel, and reboot, and find X broken
> (e.g. you need to recompile that nvidia kernel module), you can press
> alt+ctrl+F[1-6] to get to a text based console to fix it.
>
> alt+ctrl+F7 normally takes you back to X.
>

> Also - when you are in a text console, you can use alt+ArrowLeftOrRight
> key to scroll through them (I believe the ctrl is only really for when
> you're in X.. but it works outside X too).

Cheers for that, you learn something every day, just one small query if, as
Wayne said in his first mail, he cant boot the thing even from text mode, how
is he going to get a terminal?

Just asking :-)

--

Regards

Peter Cannon

peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

"There is every excuse for not knowing!"
"But there is no excuse for not asking!"