[Wolves] Samba/Networking tutorials

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 10:34:29 GMT 2004

Ron Wellsted wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2004 21:46, Rob Annable wrote:
>
>>p.s - Ron, keep up the great SAMBA tutorials, I'm listening too :)
>

> What do people feel about this, should we just continue the setting up samba
> thread, or should it be expanded to cover an entire functional network (home
> upto corporate with VPNs etc.)?

Talking of Samba....

I have a printer setup using lprng (I don't like CUPS too much) and I
also want windows clients to print from it.

I seem to have a choice of :

1) Get windows clients to install correct drivers for printer, and then
send stuff to printer skipping a filter etc.

e.g.
samba:
         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P
         :mx=0

2) Get windows clients to send ??? and use the same filter as used for
local printing on Unix?

lp0:
         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
         :if=/usr/bin/foomatic-rip: \
         :af=/etc/printing/HP-LaserJet_2100M-hpijs.ppd: \
         :sd=/var/spool/lp0: \
         :mx#0:sh:

What would the Windows clients need to have installed as a printer
driver? Is there some way to tell them just to send PS?

What does everyone else do? It just seems a bit silly having two
printcap entries for the same device. For what it's worth the first
entry (using the samba printer) works fine from a windows workstation.
If I use the second entry it appears that it attempts to convert the
data twice (windows converts to .ps? and then the print filter converts
it again? it comes out as gibberish on the printer anyway ).

David.