[Wolves] Cygwin/X

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Mon Mar 15 16:01:36 GMT 2004

Aquarius wrote:
> Old Dan spoo'd forth:
>>Why would you want to use putty though?  Whilst that does work, why not
>>just use the cygwin ssh?  That way it could be as seamless as:
> Er, cos that's what I do at the moment, really :)
Ah.

>>Which apps do you want to tunnel?
> Well, I was thinking of a suggestion someone (Peter O?) made; I wanted
> a GUI mail client that would co-operate with mutt (without using IMAP)
> so that I could read mail from my machine itself and while SSHed in,
::boggles::

Why /not/ use IMAP?

Then you could use squirrelmail.  Squirrelmail rocks the b*llock, you
can use uw-imapd with it (so no messing about with cyrus mailboxes) and
there are plugins available which can do everything except tie your
shoelaces.

IMHO.  :)

> and it was suggested that I just ran a GUI client and tunnelled an X
> connection back to where I was. I'm still not sure about this (what if
> I'm sshed in from a *different* Windows box, like one in a cybercafe or
> something?[1]) but I thought I'd try it out as a possibility anyway.
Squirrelmail solves this.

> Aq.
>
> [1] yeah, yeah, I'd be typing my password into an unsecured machine, I
> know, don't worry about that bit for the moment.
Not this though.  :(

--
Dan