[Wolves] SQL problem

Simon Burke its_simon_burke at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:40:54 GMT 2004

On 17/3/04 2:19 pm, "sparkes" <sparkes at phreaker.net> wrote:

> Tell Mr and Mrs Ridgway-Davies that their company is doomed when all
> their customers learn they can get a lower cost of ownership on an open
> source developed solution ;-)

Yeah I know they are, but I'm staying here for a mcse :( and to get the
experience I need to go onto something better, just 9 more months then I'm
gone, I've persuaded him to consider a couple of linux boxes to handle
backups and for a render farm other than that the closest we've got is OsX
> Their site seems to promote RAD quite a lot.  Well I just solved a
> problem you are struggling with in M$ world in 30 mins and ~25 lines of
> code.  Why are they so M$ biased?

They are so M$ biased as he believes that you get what you pay for so he
wants to pay the extortionate prices. I mention Open source and he goes off
on one, mind all he know is Visual Fox Pro.
>> Anyway, thanx for that code very much appreciated..
>>
> no probs, but remember it is GPL so if you use it as inspiration for
> your solution I would require that solution to be GPL ;-)

I have no idea what license we distribute under I don¹t think anyone does.
Its a really bad company to work for, H & S people would be in tears if the
saw how we work here, the man behind me with a whip telling me to keep
working is really quite disturbing.

>> Oh, and if anyone is interested my place might have a job going soon, its
>> not great pay but its 15k+. Its not definite whether there is one or not,
>> but its a good possibility. The role is a bit of everything, support, db
>> development, web development, network design and stuff like that.
>
> not if I have to turn into a windows freak ;-)

Lol, don¹t blame you, I would love to get out but I need to stay here for a
while no tonly for experience but for personal reasons, ugh I hate htose
kind of reasons.

> Oh, I think I emailed this to you off list I have spotted a problem on
> the company site and mailed it to enquires.  If you don't have the time
> to do it I can develop a solution using open source technologies for a
> fraction of the cost of M$ stuff ;-)

Yeah, I know the interesting thing is that he doesn¹t use frontpage but
dreamweaver, and im using dreamweaver, amaya and sorry to say emacs.

Thanx,
Simon