[Wolves] Sun and Solaris - worth a go??

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 09:02:35 GMT 2004

Matthew Revell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about sticking Solaris on one of my spare Athlon machines
> and perhaps running it as a combined file server, for my own network,
> and web server. Worth a go?

Can't hurt :)

I tried intel solaris (7) out ages ago on a PII 400, and found it's
default install to be somewhat lacking (i.e. bash not there etc, and
only CDE which I don't like) so I dropped it and went back to Linux. A
few years later I had to admin a sparc solaris box which came with a
minimal install, and coped somewhat better (partly due to better
experience).

> Also, I'm thinking about buying one of Sun boxes that go for around 40
> quid, on eBay. Sparkes, you've got one of these, haven't you? Any
> pros/cons you can think of?

I've always thought of buying a sparc, but I had an alpha and didn't
really make any great use of that (did who ever picked it up from me a
few months ago make any use of it?). Once you install Linux on it (Tru64
is a bit hard to buy) it's really no different from a normal PC once
you've had a play with the BIOS stuff (ARM?).

I'm tempted to get a mini-itx box though, they can be fanless (peace and
quiet) and have 3 onboard nics, excellent for a firewall etc.

David.