[Wolves] Suse

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 13:15:45 GMT 2004

 --- James Turner <james at turnersoft.co.uk> wrote: > On
Thursday 18 March 2004 11:44, Adam Sweet wrote:

> > lrwxr----- means it's a symlink and root has
> all...
>
> <pedantic>
> Symlinks always have permission lrwxrwxrwx. The
> permissions on what the
> symlink points to are used to determine whether or
> not you can access it.
> </pedantic>

No good point. I like this clearing up of my
explanation because it points out the weaknesses in my
fledgling knowledge, it's half the reason why I
haven't pushed myself forward to do a talk or anything
yet as there are people that know far more about
everything I know.

I only got to grips with permissions recently and in
fact, only discovered the symlink permissions thing
last night, after my post, while trying to work out
why I couldn't play music CDs a normal user, I still
can't hear then, but at least my apps can access them
now :)

Thanks James.

> James :)

Ad