[Wolves] Fire hazard?

Rob Annable rob at annable.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 13:22:50 GMT 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 13:02, sparkes wrote:

> laptop burst into flames christmas day :-( a pretty usual event.

We might as well cover this topic from all angles.  For the pessimists out
there who are planning to house the equivalent of Kennedy Space Centre in a
single room, you could give some thought to protection if there was a fire.

Under the building regulations,TWO layers of 12.5mm plasterboard skimmed with
plaster, is deemed to provide 30 minutes of protection. Combine this with a
fire closer on the door, some intumescent paint on the inside face and a
smoke alarm; and you should have ample time to escape if your machine starts
to cook. Whether or not the fire service get there in time to save the house
and the rest of your street, is out of my hands.

My Professional Indemnity insurance broker would probably like me to point out
that I'm merely suggesting how to briefly contain a fire once lit - not
prevent it in the first place.

Burn baby, burn. Distro inferno.

Rob
--