[Wolves] Debian config tools

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Mon Mar 22 10:45:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 10:34, Matthew Revell wrote:
> David Goodwin wrote:
>
> >> Does anyone know of any nice GUI, Debian config tools?
> >>

> > gvim ? :-)
>
> Hahaha :)
gvim my arse vi ;-)

> In general, my thoughts on Debian are: cool, I don't have to worry about
> dependencies and I can get my hands dirty setting stuff up. My other
> thoughts are: I don't really have time to get my hands *that* dirty, so
> it'd be nice to have the choice, and would the dependency nightmares of
> SuSe's RPM base be made up for with Yast?
debian will set most things up for you as part of the dpkg installation
process.  Pretty much everything comes with a working install straight
from apt.  Just do a woodpecker impression after an apt-get and your
program should be all installed and working.

It's a misconception that debian is hard to install and maintain. Tools
like yast don't make up for the fact that packages should just work when
you install and they don't on many rpm based systems.

Anything that doesn't seem to be working after this is because there is
no such thing as a default install in which case hit the docs.  Debian
docs are pretty good where the standard docs fall down the debian
maintainer will fill the gaps.  Google is your friend for everything
else.

sparkes