[Wolves] Debian config tools

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 10:53:54 GMT 2004

sparkes wrote:

> debian will set most things up for you as part of the dpkg installation
> process.

Yes, that's something I've noticed, which is cool. I suppose I'm
thinking more in terms of Samba, and the like. I'm not overly keen on
editing a text file config for Samba as it's an area I don't know much
about. Yes, I can learn as I go but, like I've said in another post, I'm
keen to make the set up of things quick and easy.

> Pretty much everything comes with a working install straight
> from apt.  Just do a woodpecker impression after an apt-get and your
> program should be all installed and working.

Hit my head against a tree? :)

> It's a misconception that debian is hard to install

Well, certainly if you use Morphix, it's just about the easiest of all
to install.

> like yast don't make up for the fact that packages should just work when
> you install and they don't on many rpm based systems.

Does anyone know why the RPM system hasn't been fixed yet? I mean, apt
has been around for a very long time now. Or, does apt have the
advantage that it runs from a central, maintained package list?

> Google is your friend for everything else.

Well, yes, it is ... but it'd be cool to have an intuitive GUI that cuts
down the time I need to spend trawling Google. I know that that sort of
comment raises great ire in many Linux types but it all goes back to the
"I don't know want to need to know how to replace my cam belt, to drive
my car." It's cool, tho', that I can fiddle with stuff in Linux, tho',
when I want to.

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.