[Wolves] Open source solutions to common computer needs

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Thu May 6 16:13:51 BST 2004

Hi guys,

I'm preparing a section of the Infopoint guide, which will give
suggested open source solutions to common computing needs. I mentioned
this at last night's LUG, so sorry if you've heard this before.

It'd be great if people could post some scenarios and their open source
solution. You should choose one option for each part, rather than giving
various alternatives. Ideally, it should follow this example (please
hack the example):

Scenario: business wants to run email, word processing and spreadsheets,
with some Microsoft Office compatability. These are new machines.

Operating system: Debian, SuSe Linux or Fedora.

Applications: Thunderbird for email because xxxxxxxxxx.
OpenOffice.org because xxxxxxxxx.

I think the justifications are quite important.

Your input on this is really necessary. Thanks!

--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.

www.lugradio.org - radio for Linux and open source fans