[Wolves] Setting up ADSL modem/router

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 13:09:36 BST 2004

 --- Jayne Heger <jayneheger at yahoo.com> wrote: > HIya,

> I am actually getting ADSL on Tuesday, yay!, and
> have ordered an ethernet modem/router combo, with 4
> ports,
> Its the Netgear ADSL modem router DG 834 which was
> only £62 at Amazon.
> Anyway, I can find no resources on the web which
> guide you through setting one up, maybe I am
> panicking uneccessarily, but I want to be prepared.
> :-)
> My setup is this,
> mail server, running Fetchmail, sendmail, leafnode,
> squid, with IPtables, yes I know in heinseight I
> could have just gone for an ADSL modem, but they all
> appear to be USB ones which I didn't want.

Umm I had a look at one of these for a friend of mine.
>From what I can gather you just forward the necessary
ports from your router to your server. The manual
should tell you how to do this. I'm pretty sure the
router is capable of doing it. Don't forget to allow
external access to these ports too if they're not open
already (I would assume they won't be).

There were a few issues with this device that I found,
but a firmware upgrade (from the supplied v1.x to
v1.4x which seemed to do the trick for most people).
Certainly nothing that put me off telling my friend to
get one, unless someone else here knows better.

Ultimately it should be just the same as doing the
same thing with a Smoothwall, I think I recall you
saying you ran it.

> Can any of you point me to a few good websites or
> offer any advice, that would be much appreciated.
> Want to try and make the meeting this week, haven't
> seen you guys in ages, I've missed you, *sniff* :-)

Don't know of any, but the manual should be pretty
comprehensive.

> Jayne

Ad

=====