[Wolves] introduction + question

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 13:22:13 BST 2004

> > last time i used linux it was mandrake for a
> couple of years, but now i want
> > a challange. i was thinking debian, but i don't
> know if it would have any
> > trouble with my Nforce 2 motherboard (in fact tho'
> if it does it would be
> > more fun).

Hi Chris, now you mention it, I remember seeing your
post about the nForce, but it was in the middle of a
list mail blizzard and I think most of us probably
overlooked it for that reason.

I just did a check on the nVidia site and there is a
Linux nForce driver at
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0274 as
Jono says and the latest release only came out 2 days
ago.

For distros, again I agree with Jono, try Debian, it
is a bit of a challenge as you get little in the way
of config tools, its all editing config files by hand,
but you quickly get used to it.

As most people here will tell you, Morphix or Knoppix
are the easy route to a Debian install, you can edit
your apt sources.list to use official sources so you
at your next dist-upgrade you get a proper Debian
machine with free hardware detection (unlike the
Debian installer). I actually still prefer the Debian
installer as I find a pure Debian install more
reliable.

Ad

=====
--